Committee on Chemistry Education
back to CCE
January 2005, CCE embarked in a new initiative: the Flying Chemists
Program (FCP). The aim is to provide emerging countries means to improve
the teaching and learning of chemistry at primary, secondary, and tertiary
levels. The FCP will provide a country with the expertise needed to
strengthen chemistry education and to assist them in its development.
The program is preferably to be implemented for the development of
economically disadvantaged countries. The host country will provide
local costs (boarding and lodging), and CCE will provide the air fare.
It is anticipated that visits will be considered only if invitations
are received from a National Society, a Ministry of Education or Technology,
or another comparable substantial organization.
Among the specific aims of the FCP are:
- To assist in the development of curricula.
- To help develop or recommend new tools of assessment.
- To help recommend implementation of hand-on experiences at all levels
of chemistry education.
- To assist in the establishment of partnerships among universities,
industries, and governments.
- To help develop different approaches to the teaching of chemistry.
- To develop successful international conferences to achieve expert
advice on a particular aspect of chemistry education.
- To help develop and implement teacher training and preparation programs.
- To help identify and approach sources of funding.
- To assist in other matters of chemistry education.
The host country is expected to make thorough preparations for the
visit and coordinate all activities in order to achieve the specific
goals and objectives of the visit. In addition, the requester should
plan for meetings with the academics, industrialists, and government
agencies in order to identify future viable strategies. This might help
achieve the country a self-sustainable model. In general, the program
should not exceed one week.
short review of the application procedure
For more information about the FCP, contact the program coordinator
Prof. Mei-Hung Chiu, CED
Projects under this porgram:
> 2005-004-1-050 - 2005
visit to India
> 2005-030-1-050 - 2006
visit to Sri Lanka
> 2007-018-1-050 - 2008
visit to the Philippines
<program description published in
2006, p. 24>