27 No. 6
by Thomas Tidwell
Heterocyclic Conference was held 28 February–2
March 2005 in Gainesville at the University of Florida. The
150 delegates in attendance participated in a varied and rich
program including 12 plenary lectures, 11 short lectures,
2 short courses, and an extensive poster session. The short
courses were on benzotriazole chemistry—taught by Alan
Katritzky (University of Florida)—and organometallic
chemistry of heterocycles—taught by Gordon Gribble (Dartmouth
University, New Hampshire, USA).
The attendees included many chemists from the industrial sector and from a large number of countries representing five continents. Heterocyclic compounds play a major role in the pharmaceutical industry and in other applications, which accounts for the great interest in the subject. The conference attracted a number of commercial exhibitors, including publishers, chemical suppliers, and instrument makers.
The following scientists gave plenary lectures:
- Alois Fürstner, Max-Planck-Institut für Kohlenforschung, Germany
- Scott Denmark, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL
- Paul Reider Amgen, Thousand Oaks, California, USA
- Paul Krapcho, Dept. of Chemisty, University of Vermont, USA
- Mikael Begtrup, Royal Danish School of Pharmacy, Denmark
- Gary Molander, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA
- Paul Hodgson, Pfizer Ltd., United Kingdom
- Margaret Brimble, The University of Auckland, New Zealand
- Mitchell deLong, The Procter & Gamble Company, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
- John A. Joule, The University of Manchester, United Kingdom
- Dale Boger, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California, USA
- Rama Rao, Avra Laboratories Pvt Ltd., India, USA
- Richard Larock, Iowa State Univ., Ames, Iowa, USA
Prof. Thomas Tidwell <firstname.lastname@example.org> served as the IUPAC representative at FloHet 6. He is currently a professor at the University of Toronto. Tidwell has been extensively involved in the IUPAC Organic and Biomolecular Division for many years; he is currently the division past president.
last modified 28 October 2005.
Copyright © 2003-2005 International Union of Pure and
Questions regarding the website, please contact email@example.com